Early college or dual enrollment

One way to enhance your high school student’s transcript is to include a few externally sourced, challenging classes. In addition to AP and CLEP exams, a possibility worth exploring are the many colleges, community colleges, and universities that will allow homeschooled students to enroll on their campuses while still in high school. Requirements will vary from one institution to the next, and may vary from year to year, so please check with each college’s Continuing Ed department before making firm plans.

Understand that college courses look very good on your student’s transcript! However, not all college courses will necessarily transfer to a future institution, even within the state of Delaware. Most institutions have a “Transfer matrix” of some kind that will determine what courses will be acceptable as transfer credits, if that is your goal. Some families may wish to choose courses wisely. Some very low-level courses may not be counted if a similarly, but only slightly higher level course is later required for a major. If you think you have a budding compsci major on your hands, check out the degree requirements and note the potential issues with taking CompSci 100 vs 120 (those numbers are made up). You may find that CompSci 120 is required for compsci majors, but “only one course out of compsci 100 or 120 may be taken for credit.” The college is unlikely to accept Compsci 100 for a degree requirement. So choose wisely if your student is one who dislikes repeating courses (for other students, this could be a bonus). If you have questions, you should absolutely ask questions of whichever counselor helps your student enroll in their first courses! If they don’t know, they will often find answers. Also, don’t shy away from some “easier” courses. Just getting experience in a college classroom and building up foundational knowledge in a subject area can be very valuable for managing that upcoming freshman year.

As a parent, be prepared for the college course experience yourself! If your child is ready for a college course, this means they are ready to navigate independently. You should not be expecting to solve your child’s problems or intervene with the professor or manage their homework. If you still feel the need to do these things, then your child may not yet be ready for college coursework.

Some of this information has been compiled from members who have had experiences with their own homeschoolers at these institutions, and some of this information has been generously supplied by the institutions themselves.

University of Delaware: Homeschooled students may dual-enroll at UD by working through the department of Continuing Education. SAT scores are usually not required, but be prepared to discuss why you feel your student is prepared for the independence and academic rigor of a university course. A high school transcript may be requested. Disability services as provided to any UD student are available with appropriate documentation. You do not need permission from anyone beyond working with the CE department to enroll your homeschooler in a course, and you are not limited to special “dual enrollment” or “early college” courses, though your student will need to meet any stated prerequisites or testing requirements just as any other student would. CE students understandably have last registration priority so that they do not interfere with students who are paying full room, board, and tuition trying to register for courses required for graduation. Your student will have a college transcript and is a UD student, but is not admitted as a full-time student for a degree program when working through Continuing Ed. You student will have a college transcript from UD, complete with GPA. Credits earned are very likely to transfer upon full-time admission if you attend UD. UD does not have a minimum age or grade requirement.

Wilmington University: Wilmington University’s Early College Program:

Tuition: Early College Credit tuition is $32/credit, most courses are 3 credits or $96. There is also a per semester registration fee ($25). Students will also be required to purchase books and supplies.  Students are limited to 2 courses in his/her junior year and 2 courses his/her senior year.

Entry Prerequisites: There are no entrance exams for the early college credit program. However, students enrolling in ENG 121 will need to show proof of SAT scores of 480 or better, while MAT 205 students will need to show proof of SAT scores of 530 or better in the appropriate areas or take the Accuplacer for placement. Please contact precollege@wilmu.edu for more information.

When you decide to enroll in the program you will be considered a Wilmington University student and will have all of the privileges as such. Each Early College Credit participant will receive a college transcript indicating courses taken.

Delaware Technical Community College (“Del Tech”)

Students have historically been required to be at least 16 years of age and have junior year standing (as declared by the parent, as many of us don’t actually assign grade levels in homeschooling) in order to enroll at DelTech. Attending DelTech will result in your student having a college transcript.